Tuesday 1 May 2007

Robert Key MP - The God Delusion pledge to MPs

Comment by Les Rose:-
Here is the reply I received from Robert Key MP (a member of the Church of England Synod). "Thank you for your letter of 10th April and for your kind presentation of Richard Dawkins' book "The God Delusion". "I have listened to Professor Dawkins views over many months now and I find them completely unconvincing. He may know lots about science - but he appears to know very little about belief. "I fear we will have to agree to disagree about the establishment of the Church of England. As the Venerable Bede reported in the 7th Century, the Church in England has always been closely intertwined with the State. The Reformation Settlement reaffirmed this relationship. I see no need to break that relationship. "Similarly, I am convinced that Faith Schools are of very great benefit to our country. Their popularity not only in Salisbury but across the country suggests that most people agree with that view."

Follow up to Robert Key MP. First my email in reply to his letter:

"Thanks for your letter of 19th April. I don't intend to make this a prolonged exchange, but some things weren't clear to me.

"Firstly, will you read the book? You don't say.

"Could you explain to me what Professor Dawkins doesn't know about belief? Having read the book, I now have a clear understanding of how faith arises in society, and why it persists.

"Regarding the Church, I am not asking about ancient history. There is no particular reason why a concept that's say 1400 years old has to be correct. I am asking why an organisation which claims supernatural support needs secular support.

"Popularity is no guarantee of value. Would you support the endowment of a school by the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? I am not making this up - it really exists, and has 10 million members - see http://www.venganza.org/. Or The Cargo Cult of Polynesia? Or Wicca?"

....and here is his erudite reply to that:

"I think you're missing something. I have a job to do. I did not ask for the Dawkins book. I do not read books because someone tells me to. Dawkins doesn't know much about faith because he does not have it.

"You can find out about the established church if you go to my website and click on church.

"FSM is a very good spoof - didn't you get that?"

Ah, such an intellect. I see now why I can't aspire to lead the nation.
Les Rose at 08:51, Friday 27 April.

http://www.pledgebank.com/church-and-state#comment_1027729

No comments: